Why Hospital at Home is here to stay for Health First
The Hospital at Home program at Health First is delivering impressive results. Now live with 3 of their 4 hospitals, the care model is helping the IDN approach care for high-risk patients differently. And leaders expect the shift to be permanent.
Health First’s Hospital at Home program at a glance
- 3 out of 4 hospitals in the system have shifted care for 238 patients from the hospital to the home since the program began in June 2021
- Approx. 6% readmission rate, which is significantly lower than their all-cause, all-payer readmission rate
- Press Ganey surveys show 87% would recommend the program, and 93% give it an overall positive rating
- Reduced LOS from a little over five days to around 4.4 days, and as of June 2022, the health system is seeing positive contribution margins
- Of the 238 patients released to the program, ~ 10% to 25% of those were released directly from emergency departments back to their homes